My experiences as a creative person, tutor of children, and teacher of creative writing

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Why I started this blog.

A few weeks ago I was feeling a little overwhelmed with trying to manage my life. I always had a nagging feeling that I was forgetting something, but just couldn’t remember what, and all the details I had to handle gave me a headache. Knowing that I am a very right brain dominate person, I thought this was most likely the source of my stress. Since right brainers,
or “righties” as I like to call us, have a rough time trying to manage in a left brain world, I hoped to find some support and ideas on the internet from other “righties”.
I wasn’t very successful, but I did find lots of sites from teachers which, though containing some very helpful information, also were full of negative labels such as “Learning Disabled” and “Attention Deficient”. There was even a list from a university with suggestions on things right brain and left brain people could do to succeed in college. Right brain people were admonished to “get organized” while left brain people were given flattering suggestions such as to join a debate team because they would excel.
While I was telling my husband that I felt there was little understanding of right brain people in our society and even less recognition for their talents, my husband looked me in the eye and said, “You have been complaining for years. You are a right brain person, you have raised right brain children, you have a current elementary teaching certificate, you have tutored right brain children for thirty-six years, and you love to do research and write. Why don’t you do something!”
I was stunned at first, but then I began to wonder if there was something I could do. I discussed with my daughter, who is far more “techy” than I am, what I wanted to do. I told her how I wanted to communicate with other right brain people and share ideas. She explained to me that what I wanted was to blog, so here I am. I will be sharing things that I have found helpful in my life and would love your feedback and to hear your ideas.